Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Review: Bu Bu Jing Xin



I've been planning to watch this drama since early last year but I just couldn't find time to watch. So it took me almost a year until I finally got to see this drama. Most of the knowledge I had about BBJX was from Koala. I could see how much she loved it that got me curious and interested. Okay, here we go, gotta start my introduction.


What is Bu Bu Jing Xin?
-With the costumes worn by the characters, you can instantly tell it's a period drama.

What kind of period drama? 
-Well, it is actually a history drama blended with romance (which is an inevitable element or else it would be boring and no one would be interested, right?) 

What is it all about?
- The story is about princes fighting over the throne and the women in their lives who cared for them so much and willing to sacrifice everything. Mainly, the story revolves around Ruoxi, a woman from the future (oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's also a time travel drama), who touches the lives of these princes especially the 4th prince.
     

Random Thoughts and Comments: 

The Main OTP - Even before I started watching this drama, I already knew who the main OTP are because Koala kept mentioning them and I've already seen some BBJX music videos. Because of these, I have been rooting for 4th Prince and Ruoxi from the start and hated 8th Prince so much.

Ruoxi and 8th Prince - For me, their relationship was taboo. Come on, he is still her brother-in-law. Her soul may be Zhang Xiao but in that period she's Ruoxi, the little sister of Ruolan. But at least, she tried to suppress her feelings (And I was so happy about it and couldn't wait for her to fall for the mysterious 4th Prince). I hated it when she finally gave in and accepted 8th Prince's heart. Tong Hua tried to justify the relationship by adding the fact that Ruolan had no feelings for the 8th Prince and she loved someone else. But still, I couldn't approve of 8th Prince romantically liking/loving Ruoxi, his sister-in-law. 

Ruoxi and 4th Prince's Romance - I loved their semi love/hate relationship. I loved 4th Prince so much that I was silently crying inside every time he got rejected by Ruoxi. I was always whispering "My poor 4th prince, you are just misunderstood". When they started liking each other, it felt like watching teenagers having young love, being sincere and innocent. It was heaven seeing them happy together and care for each other. But the romance was very short-lived. It's kind of hard to believe she's so deeply in love with him with a very short span of time being together. I don't want to admit it but the way they presented it, it did look like she had deeper relationship with 8th Prince.      


           
Hate for 4th Prince - Like I mentioned above, I loved 4th Prince. But that love didn't last forever. I started hating him when he became the Emperor. Yeah, he cared for our Ruoxi very much but I think his love wasn't deep enough. He couldn't give up the throne for her. If he really loved her, he should have given up the throne and just lived peacefully with Ruoxi and the rest of his family (the empress, his concubines and his son--one big happy family, hehe). I understand that he needed the throne for 13th Prince and Ruoxi. He needed the power to free them from the punishments given by the late Emperor. When everything was already okay, he had a choice to live a peaceful and happy life with Ruoxi, but he chose to stay on the throne ( He didn't realize he cannot have both).  

The Ending - I think 4th Prince deserved that ending (divine retribution?). He chose that path, he made decisions, he had to suffer and face the consequences. He had his chances but he just let it pass. And it was too late when he realized he was wrong. I think the most cruel thing he did was giving poison to Eunuch Li and steaming Yu Tan to death. He didn't care about relationships anymore, he just strictly followed his rules and heavy punishments. 8th prince was right, they're no different. They both couldn't give up the throne even for Ruoxi. In the end, they both lost her.

My Ultimate Crush, 13th Prince- Who would not like this earnest prince, ever loyal friend and brother? If there's one character that's close to perfect and least flawed, it was the 13th Prince. He's liberal and had no interest in the throne or politics. He only stayed as court official to help and support 4th prince. He had the same mindset as Ruoxi that's why they got along well. He's also the most understanding among the princes.

Rating 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment