Friday, April 18, 2014

Beyond The Clouds


First quarter of this year has just ended and I already have my most favorite drama of the year. I've been following updates about this drama even before it was aired. Not only because of the actors but also because I love revenge melos. I am a fan of melodramas but not the extreme types. Reading the synopsis, character descriptions and watching the teasers, I was instantly sold. Beyond the clouds may have not garnered good ratings in Korea but  many international fans like myself completely fell in love with it. For me, it was well written, from the conflicts to the characters. 


I liked the actors even from the beginning. The two leads did a very good portrayal of their characters. Like gummimochi said, this drama benefited from its good actors. Even the supporting ones, they were all very good. I liked Yoon Kye Sang in "My sister-in-law is nineteen" but as Jung Se-ro, I loved everything about him. He's a great actor. He had the perfect facial expressions. And the eyes, yes those expressive eyes, no need for dialogues. Han Ji Hye, on the other hand, was also good. I think the character was really written for her. I can't imagine other actress portraying Han Young won. Her acting maybe lacking at some point, but man she was very good as Han Young-won. HJH and YKS also had the perfect chemistry even both of them are already attached in real life. I haven't been this in love with an OTP since Nice Guy

We all could see their efforts for the drama even if the local reception was not that good. I still don't understand why the ratings were that low. It was depressing. I thank KBS for producing this drama. It's actually very similar to NG, in fact, there were shooting locations and scenes that will absolutely remind you of NG. I think it's inevitable since most of the team were also part of NG production team. 

Heo Sung Hye's story was nothing new. We all could say that BTC was inspired by other KBS melodramas previously aired, namely, NG and Secret. But there were things that BTC did better. It had a good pacing  and a more satisfying ending. LKH may have given us a happy ending in NG but it felt like a rush ending. In BTC, the pacing and transition was perfectly right. The conflicts throughout the drama were resolved with the right timing. I also liked how consistent the characters were.


Here's the best MV that tells you how the story goes. My rating for the drama? Of course, its a 10/10 (Ikr I'm a little biased. But it's my opinion so you cant do anything about it) Enjoy the MV!

No comments:

Post a Comment